When the weather starts to cool down, comfort foods like this Homemade Hamburger Helper really hits the spot. This recipe comes together in just 30 minutes in a single dish making it perfect for weeknight dinner! Enjoy!
Growing up, Hamburger Helper was a weeknight staple in my house. And it's no wonder - it was affordable, easy to make, and a guaranteed hit with even the pickiest eaters. Now that I'm feeding my own family, I try to limit processed foods where I can but I still crave those comfort foods from my childhood. That's why this homemade version simply can't be beat! It's got the same rich, creamy texture with flavor that easily rivals the boxed version. But the best part is how quick and easy it is to make in just a single pot.
What's in Homemade Hamburger Helper?
The best part about this recipe is that it's loaded with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- lean ground beef
- yellow onion
- tomato paste
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- dried macaroni
- beef broth
- 2% milk
- shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
What can I replace the ground beef with?
This is a very versatile recipe. If you don't have ground beef or don't eat beef, you can easily replace it with ground chicken, ground turkey, ground pork, or veggie crumbles. It will change the flavor slightly, but still be absolutely delicious.
How can I make this ahead?
This is an incredible make-ahead meal. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days so it is excellent for your weekly meal prep. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
What is the best way to reheat Homemade Hamburger Helper?
You can reheat this in the microwave or on the stove top over medium heat. I always recommend adding a few big splashes of beef or chicken broth to rehydrate it and bring it back to its original texture.
What can I serve my Homemade Hamburger Helper with?
This delicious dish is best paired with a nutritious salad or vegetable side dish such as my:
Homemade Hamburger Helper
When the weather starts to cool down, comfort recipes like this Homemade Hamburger Helper really hits the spot. This recipe comes together in just 20 minutes in a single dish making it perfect for weeknight dinner!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb dried macaroni
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 ½ cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, breaking it up with the side of a spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, paprika, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Cook, stirring, until the herbs become fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the dried macaroni, beef broth, and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately topped with the parsley or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can swap out the ground beef for ground turkey, ground pork, or ground chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply