This hearty Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup is such a wonderful comforting dish to make during soup season! It is loaded with good-for-you ingredients and even the pickiest eaters will love it. It can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner so be sure to make a double batch!
There is just something about chicken soup that soothes the soul and this creamy version that's loaded with extra veggies is no exception. It's rich, hearty, and the perfect comfort food during the cooler months. The best part is that it's super simple to prepare. What's not to love?
What's in Creamy Chicken Soup?
This soup is loaded with simple but nutritious ingredients that you probably already have on hand in your fridge, freezer, and pantry. Here's what you'll need...
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Chicken thighs
- Broccoli florets
- Green peas
What kind of chicken is best for this recipe?
For this recipe, I used boneless skinless chicken thighs as they are affordable and packed with amazing flavor. If you want something slightly leaner, you could swap in boneless skinless chicken breast instead. This is also a great place to use leftover chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken if you want to keep things really simple.
What other vegetables can I add to this soup?
This is an incredibly versatile soup so if you want to add even more nutrients to it, you can always include more vegetables like:
- Snow peas
- Snap peas
- Green beans
You may need to adjust the cook time slightly to ensure the vegetables get tender.
Can I use frozen vegetables?
Absolutely! This soup is a great place to use frozen vegetables like frozen broccoli, carrots, or peas. The best part about using frozen veggies over fresh is that they take less time to cook.
Where can I find a great soup pot to make Creamy Chicken Soup?
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup green peas
- ¼ cup cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Add the potatoes, broth, chicken thighs, and thyme sprig. Mix well. Cover the soup and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the soup until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, carefully remove it from the pot and roughly chop it before returning it to the soup. Remove and discard the thyme sprig from the pot. Add the broccoli and peas and cook until they are bright green and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 945mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g