Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup red wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 fresh thymes
- 1 baguette, cut into 8 slices
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and stir. Cover and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and season the onions with sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook the onions for an additional 20 minutes, stirring often. The onions should be a deep golden brown.
- Once the onions are caramelized, stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the red wine or apple cider, broth, and fresh thyme leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Ladle the soup into individual, oven-safe bowls and top with the sliced baguette and cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, hot from the oven.