It takes a lot of guts to serve a dessert this gruesome but your bravery is sure to be rewarded when you get to gnaw on these delicious cinnamon roll intestines. They start with a red velvet cinnamon roll dough and a sweet and cinnamon-y filling. Then you simply wind the dough into intestine-inspired swirls and bake it up. Top them with some sweet glaze and you’ve got entrails that are good enough to eat. No guts, no glory right?
- 1 ¾ cups 110ºF water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups red velvet cake mix
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Line a large baking dish with parchment paper. Set it aside.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, sugar, and yeast.
Let it sit until it is frothy, about 5 to 10 minutes. Once frothy,
transfer the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook
- Add the flour, red velvet cake mix, salt, and red food
coloring. Mix the dough on low speed until the ingredients are well
combined. Increase the speed slightly and knead the dough until it pulls
away from the sides of the bowl, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover it with a towel and let it sit in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, in a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set it aside.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out until it is a large
rectangle. Spread the cinnamon mixture over the dough. Cut the dough, lengthwise, into long 1-inch strips. Arrange the dough in the baking dish in the shape of intestines. Cover the dough with a towel and let them sit in a warm spot until they double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Bake them until they are lightly golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and milk. Drizzle the glaze over the zombie guts.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 7g