These zombie inspired Brain Cupcakes are sure to blow your mind. You start with some classic chocolate cupcakes (store-bought cake mix works just fine for this recipe) and then fill the center with some ooey, gooey cherry pie filling. Then you mound the tops with a classic pink buttercream in a fun brain pattern and top them off with even more edible fake blood.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 24 chocolate cupcakes
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- ¼ cup edible fake blood
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is
light and fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until it
is well incorporated. Beat in the heavy cream. Add the food coloring
until the icing is light pink. Set the buttercream aside.
- Using a cupcake corer or a paring knife, remove the center of each
cupcake and set the leftover cake aside. Fill the center of the cupcakes
with the cherry pie filling. Cover the cherry filling with a small
piece of the leftover cake.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag with a medium round tip.
Decorate the cupcakes so that the icing looks like brains. Top the
cupcakes with a drizzle of the edible fake blood.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 27gProtein: 1g