Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa verde
- 1 lime, juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the chicken releases easily from the pan. Turn chicken and cook it for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- In the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of oil. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until they become fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and salsa verde. Bring mixture to a boil. Return chicken to the pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow chicken to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until it has reached at least 165°F on a meat thermometer. Finish with fresh lime juice.
- Serve chicken over rice topped with pan sauce. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for 3 months.