Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb beef chuck
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-oz can tomato
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- 2 green onions, sliced for serving
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef chuck to the skillet and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it is golden on all sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the beef from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add the ground beef to the Dutch oven and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Break the ground beef up using the side of a spoon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the ground beef from the pot and set it aside.
- Add the onion, celery, red bell pepper, and carrots into the pot. Cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the sweet potatoes and return the beef to the pot. Add the diced tomatoes and broth. Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, oregano, and chipotle powder. Season the chili with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the chili to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Cover, and simmer the chili until the broth has reduced and the flavours have intensified, about 1 hour.
- Serve immediately topped with the green onion, lime wedges, and cilantro. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 529mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 38g