Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb dried penne pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, thinly slices
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Pesto Sauce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until it becomes golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, remove it from pan and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until it becomes soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the penne and the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes, until the pasta is tender and the liquid has almost been completely absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto sauce, cooked chicken, baby spinach, and peas. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is wilted and the peas are just heated through, another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the fresh basil or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For best results, add another splash of chicken broth when reheating the pasta.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 787mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g