This rich, creamy vegetarian dish is on the table in under 30 minutes and is This creamy dinner dish is the perfect comfort food for fall. It starts with loads of mushrooms that are cooked with shallot, garlic, and thyme to add incredible flavor before adding in the orzo. Once the orzo has simmered and cooked through the dish Is finished off with goat cheese, fresh kale, and green peas! Dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes and it is guaranteed to be a favorite for cool fall evenings.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dried orzo
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups baby kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms begin to brown and release their moisture, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the shallot, garlic, and thyme leaves. Cook, stirring, until the shallots begin to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the orzo and white wine. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the wine has mostly evaporated, about 30 seconds. Stir in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the goat cheese until it is fully melted. Add the peas and kale and continue to cook, stirring constanly, until the kale is wilted and the peas are heated through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 566mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g