Italian Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the membranes and seeds. Boil the peppers until they are flexible, between 3 to 5 minutes. Drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the sausage and cook until it is no longer pink, breaking it up with the spatula. Stir in the tomato sauce and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir in the rice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is almost completely cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling and arrange them in a well-greased baking dish. Top each pepper with the shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Roast the peppers until the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the parsley or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- **Note: The hot Italian sausage in this recipe can be replaced with ground beef or ground poultry.
Leave a Reply