This flavorful Italian Sausage, Pepper & Rice Skillet is a real weeknight winner - quick, easy, and made all in a single skillet. It also happens to taste absolutely incredible!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 19-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups baby kale
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the skillet, and cook, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, until it begins to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion, orange bell pepper, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and continue to cook, stirring, until they become fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth and fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring, until the kale is bright green and wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 1322mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 27g