Hearty Black Bean Soup
This Hearty Black Bean Soup is an absolute lifesaver when you've got nothing in the fridge because it's full of classic pantry staples that you probably already have on hand. It's rich, hearty, and filling but totally vegetarian, so it's perfect for Meatless Monday.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauces, minced
- 2 15-oz can black beans, not drained
- 1 28-oz can tomato
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- ¼ cup sour cream, for serving
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, for serving
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and chipotle peppers and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Add the lime zest and juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with sour cream, fresh cilantro and lime wedges or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Leave a Reply