In the colder months, nothing beats a big bowl of Beef Stew. This version is made with simple ingredients but has incredible flavor. Remember - the longer it cooks, the more delicious it becomes.
Easy Beef Stew
In the colder months, nothing beats a big bowl of Hearty Beef Stew. This version is made with simple ingredients but has incredible flavor. Remember - the longer it cooks, the more delicious it becomes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 fresh thymes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Arrange the beef in the pot, in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef begins to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the red wine and cook, stirring, until almost all of the wine has evaporated. Add the potatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove and discard the thyme stems. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the stew and mix well. Continue to cook, stirring, until the liquid has thickened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 755mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Leave a Reply