Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they become soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and let them cook until they begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, and brown sugar and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the cream.
- puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a traditional blender. If using a traditional blender, remember:
- • Only fill the blender ⅓ full.
- • Remove the centre insert in the lid of the blender to allow hot air to escape.
- • Cover ¾ of the hole with a kitchen towel to avoid splashes.
- Enjoy immediately garnished with fresh basil or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- **CAUTION: Use extreme caution when blending hot liquids in a traditional blender.