Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 lb dried macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat milk and cream. Do not let it come to a boil.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted and frothy, add the flour and whisk. Whisk constantly until the butter and flour mixture are totally combined and become a golden brown colour, about two or three minutes. This is called a roux. Carefully pour your milk and cream into your roux, whisking constantly. Use extreme caution as the mixture will bubble up and you don’t want to burn yourself. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and has thickened, another one or two minutes. Add the shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheese and whisk until they have fully melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour thecheese mixture over macaroni and stir thoroughly.
- For baked mac and cheese, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Pour the mac and cheese into a casserole dish or individual ramekins. Top with breadcrumbs and bake until the breadcrumbs have become golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.