Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 3 yellow onions, cut into quarters
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half to expose the cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 fresh thymes
- salt, to taste
- Place all of the ingredients into a large Dutch oven or pot and cover with water. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 2 hours. Season the broth liberally with salt.
- Carefully remove the cooked chicken from the pot. Once it's cool enough to handle, separate the meat and save it for use in other recipes. Discard the remains.
- Carefully, strain the broth and allow it to cool. Once cooled completely, the fat will harden on the surface of the broth. If you do not want to use it, remove it using a slotted spoon.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.