Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 19-oz can tomato
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- For the zucchini, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Set aside.
- Arrange zucchini halves on a nonstick baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef and cook, breaking it up with the side of a spoon, until it is no longer pink. Add onion and zucchini seeds and cook for another 2 minutes. Add garlic, chili seasoning and cumin and cook for another minute. Add diced tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like a bit of heat, go ahead and add some red pepper flakes as well.
- Fill each zucchini half with chili.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese and broil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.