These savory Cheddar Chive Scones are tender, delicious, and easier to prepare than you might think. Make a big batch on Sunday and enjoy them throughout the week.
- ½ cup half and half cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and eggs. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt. Add the butter and mix it into the flour with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. Alternatively, this can be done in a food processor. Once the butter is fully incorporated, add the cream mixture, cheddar cheese, and chives. Mix until the dough begins to form. The dough will be slighlty sticky.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer the first half to a lightly-floured board. Form it into a disc that is about 1 inch high and 8 inches across. Using a sharp knife, cut the disc into 6 equal slices. Transfer the slices to a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining half of the dough.
- Transfer the scones to the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Once chilled, using a pastry brush, brush the top of each scone with milk. Bake the scones until they begin to brown on top, about 17 to 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them. If they begin to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil over top to slow the browning process.
- Allow the scones to cool slightly before enjoying. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g