Are you looking for a healthier and more flavorful twist on classic nachos? Look no further than these incredible Sweet Potato Nachos! This dish is not only delicious and easy to make, but it is also packed with fiber and nutrients. No wonder I just can't get enough!
The base of Sweet Potato Nachos is, of course, sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and potassium. They also have a lower glycemic index than regular potatoes, which means they won't cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels.
In place of traditional tortilla chips, thinly sliced sweet potatoes are baked until crispy. These provide a satisfying crunch and a slightly sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the other toppings.
What toppings can I add to my Sweet Potato Nachos?
One of the best things about sweet potato nachos is the versatility when it comes to toppings. Black beans are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber and add a hearty texture to the dish. Avocado adds a creamy and refreshing element, while also providing healthy fats and fiber. I also topped them with red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro and served them with sour cream.
Other toppings that can be added include salsa, guacamole, diced tomatoes, beef, chicken, or pork. This makes it easy to customize the dish to your liking and add additional nutrients.
Overall, Sweet Potato Nachos with black beans and avocado are a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy a classic. Whether you are looking for a healthy snack or a crowd-pleasing appetizer, they are sure to hit the spot. So next time you are in the mood for nachos, give this healthier version a try and enjoy all the benefits of incorporating more plant-based foods into your diet.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes with the oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and salt. Toss until the sweet potatoes are well coated.
- Transfer them to the baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer.
- Bake until they are tender and begin to brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and top them with the black beans and cheese. Return them to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted, remove them from the oven and top the sweet potatoes with the avocado, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with the sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 12g