Spinach Stuffed Shells
- 24 large dried pasta shells
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb spinach
- 750g ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cook pasta shells in boiling water for 1 minute less than the package recommends. Drain shells in a colander and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set them aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the spinach and cook until it has completely wilted, about 2 minutes. Allow the spinach to cool and then finely chop it.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir well. Add the spinach and stir until combined.
- Pour a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish or baking dish. Stuff the shells with cheese filling and arrange shells in the dish.Cover them with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and is golden, about 20 minutes, or store in the refrigerator or up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.To cook from frozen, thaw the shells overnight in the refrigerator and bake them, covered with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes at 375°F or until they’re heated through.
Leave a Reply