Spicy Sausage Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 lb breakfast sausages, removed from its casing
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook it, crumbling it with the side of a fork, until it is no longer pink. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for another 30 seconds. Add sausage back into the pan and stir until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl whisk eggs, milk and melted butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir in sausage mixture and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon batter into a well greased muffin tin. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply