Spicy Black Bean Empanadas
- 2 ½ cups cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 19-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the white corn meal and salt together. Create a well in the center of the corn meal and add water and olive oil. Mix with your hands until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is too dry, add some more water until it becomes soft and pliable. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest at room temperature while you prepare your filling.
- In a large frying pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions until they become translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mash the black beans. Add the cooked onion and garlic, chipotle pepper, cumin and Cotija cheese and stir until well combined. Scoop a few tablespoons of dough into your hand and roll it into a ball. Roll it between two sheets of parchment paper until it’s ¼ inch or use a tortilla press. If the edges crack a little, it’s fine but too much cracking means your dough isn’t moist enough. Remove the top pieces of parchment paper. Place a dollop of filling in the centre of the dough and use the bottom, sheet of paper to bring the dough over top. Press the edges to seal well. Trim off the excess edge and crimp with the tines of a fork. Empanadas can be deep fried or baked.
- To bake the empanadas, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until they are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. T
- o fry the empanadas, heat 2 inches of canola oil in a high-sided sauce pot. The oil should be 350°F. Gently lower empanadas into the pot using a metal spoon. Empanadas only need to be fried for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Carefully remove empanadas from oil with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towel. Cool for 2 to 4 minutes before serving.
- **Always use extreme caution when deep frying food. Look online for tips to ensure safety.
- Serve immediately with salsa or hot sauce or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply