Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can tomato
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the membranes and seeds. Boil the peppers until they are flexible, between 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Combine the quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan. Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the cooked quinoa, black beans, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until everything is heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling and arrange them in a well-greased roasting dish. Top each pepper with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Roast the peppers until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- **Note: The qunioa in this recipe can be replaced with rice.
Leave a Reply