- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 15-oz can black beans, not drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and red pepper and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, for an additional minute. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano, cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into slow cooker. Add beans, vegetable broth, and salsa. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup to desired consistency. Add lime zest and juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with avocado and chopped cilantro or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.