These Pumpkin Spice Scones are flaky, tender, and absolutely perfect for fall. Scones are a wonderful make-ahead recipe as the dough can be prepped in advance and stored in the freezer until you're ready to bake! Enjoy!
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- ½ cup half and half cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
Maple Syrup Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp half and half cream
- To make the scones, in a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin purée, cream, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Set it aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Add the chilled butter and mix it into the flour mixture with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. Alternatively, this can be done in a food processor.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until a dough begins to form. The dough will be slightly sticky. Mix in the pecans.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer the first half to a lightly-floured board. Form it into a disc that is about 1-inch high 8-inches across. Using a sharp knife, cut the disc into 6 equal slices. Transfer the slices to a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the other half of the dough. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each scone with milk.
- Transfer the scones to the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the scones until they just begin to brown on top, between 17 and 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them. If they begin to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil over top to slow the browning process. Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- In the meantime, to make the maple syrup glaze, in a medium bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and maple syrup. Add the cream slowly, while whisking, until the desired consistency is reached. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled scones.
- Enjoy immediately or store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g