Pepperoni Pizza Pretzel Bites
- 1 ½ cups warm water, between 110 and 115 degrees
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast, (or 21/4 teaspoon)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup pepperoni, finely diced
- Large pot of boiling water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Begin by adding sugar and salt to the warm water. Add the active dry yeast and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook. You can also mix this by hand. Add the melted butter and flour to mixer and mix on low until all the ingredients are combined. Increase the speed and allow the dough to knead for 5 minutes. Or knead the dough by hand for 5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover it with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for at least one hour in a warm place.
- While the dough is rising, prepare your filling by combining the shredded mozzarella and pepperoni in bowl. Set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set them aside.
- In a large pot, bring about 8 to 10 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the baking soda. Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Separate the dough into 32 equal parts. Using your fingers, slightly flatten your dough and place about a tablespoon of the filling in the centre. Wrap the filling, tightly pinching the ends together. Roll until you get a nice ball. Place each pretzel bite on your parchment-lined baking sheets. Gently lower pretzel bites, five at a time, into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove pretzel bites with a slotted spoon and return them to the parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat until all pretzel bites have been boiled.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk with one tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each pretzel liberally with egg wash.
- Bake until they are golden, for approximately ten minutes. Swap the trays half way through baking to ensure even browning.
- Add the garlic powder and rosemary to the melted butter. Roll the pretzel bites in the butter mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce for dipping or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 1484mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Leave a Reply