- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb dried rotini pasta
- 1 15-oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-oz can tomato
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, with a tight-fitting lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon as it browns, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, kidney beans, rotini, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the pasta is fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese. Stir until the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve immediately, with a dollop of sour cream and some chives, or let cool completely and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.