- 1 lb dried macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- hot sauce, to taste
- ¾ lb lobster meat, cooked
- ½ panko crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat milk and cream. Do not let it come to a boil.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted and frothy, add the flour and whisk. Whisk constantly until the butter and flour mixture are totally combined and become a golden brown colour, about two or three minutes. This is called a roux. Carefully pour the milk and cream into the roux, whisking constantly. Use extreme caution as the mixture will bubble up and you don’t want to burn yourself. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and has thickened, another one or two minutes. Stir in the shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheese and whisk until they have fully melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir thoroughly. Add the red pepper flakes and lobster meat and stir to combine.
- For baked mac and cheese, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Transfer the mac and cheese into a casserole dish or individual ramekins. Top with the panko breadcrumbs and bake until the breadcrumbs are become golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.