This ultra decadent Loaded Mac & Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. As the name suggests, it comes fully loaded with delicious toppings like crisp bacon, tangy sour cream, and fresh green onion. Plus, the mac and cheese itself is rich, creamy, and oh-so-cheesy making this dish a must-try.
If you've got a craving for comfort food then look no further than this over-the-top mac and cheese. The flavor is inspired by a classic baked potato so you just know it's going to be good. And while it tastes divine, it's surprisingly easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd!
What is in Loaded Mac & Cheese?
This creamy Loaded Mac & Cheese is made with simple ingredients you probably already have on hand in your fridge and pantry.
- Garlic powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onion
Can I skip the bacon in this recipe?
Absolutely!! If you don't eat, you're welcome to swap traditional bacon for turkey or chicken bacon - it will still be delicious. If you want to leave the bacon out completely, try adding smoked paprika instead of regular to achieve that similar smoky flavor that bacon provides.
Do I have to use macaroni in this recipe?
Absolutely not! While macaroni is the obvious choice for a mac and cheese dish, this recipe will work with pretty much any type of pasta. Whatever you have in your pantry will do the trick.
Can I use pre-shredded cheese?
While pre-shredded cheese can be really convenient in lots of different recipes, I don't recommend it for mac and cheese. The additives that prevent the cheese from clumping together don't allow it to melt as well so I highly recommend shredding the cheese yourself for this recipe.
What kind of cheese should I use for this recipe?
When it comes to mac and cheese, I always recommend using a very sharp cheddar. You can use orange or white but you just want to make sure it has a lot of sharp, tangy flavor.
TOOLS: Enamelled Cast Iron Skillet
As you probably know already, this is my very favorite skillet for cooking up all sorts of amazing recipes. It's one of the best kitchen investments I've ever made and I highly recommend it. You can find a similar version HERE:
- 1 lb dried macaroni
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it is brown and crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Once it is cooked, remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and melt the butter in the skillet. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 30 seconds. While whisking, slowly pour the milk into the skillet. Whisk in the paprika and garlic powder. Add the cheese, and stir constantly, until it is completely melted about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain the cooked pasta and transfer it into the skillet. Mix until everything is evenly coated with the sauce. Stir in the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately topped with the cooked bacon, some more shredded cheese, sour cream, and the green onions. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 518mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g