This flavourful Korean Rice Bowl is a delicious way to welcome the new year. It's savoury and sweet with just a touch of heat and quick and easy to make so it's perfect for busy weeknights. Oh, and did I mention it's plant-based?
This recipe is a tasty twist on a classic Korean beef dish using Impossible™ Beef Made From Plants. This versatile plant-based beef cooks, bakes and grills just like traditional beef and can easily be swapped into any of your fave recipes. Plus, it tastes incredible.
What is in this Korean Rice Bowl?
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
- Sesame oil
- Impossible Beef Made From Plants
- Jasmine rice
- English cucumber
- Green onion
- Sesame seeds
How does Impossible Beef compare to traditional beef?
Impossible Beef Made From Plants has a very similar taste and texture to traditional ground beef. It's rich and flavourful and cooks in very much the same way. In fact, when I shared this dish with my husband Greg, he didn't realize this was not traditional beef until I told him so. He was surprised by how close the look, taste, and texture was.
Where can I find Impossible Beef?
Impossible Beef is available in many major supermarkets and big box stores in the U.S and Canada as well as through online retailers. Conveniently, their website has a really handy locator feature that will help you find out where the product is available in your area.
What is gochujang? And what if I can't find it?
Gochujang is a traditional Korean red chili paste that has lots of flavour and just a touch of heat. It's the perfect addition to this dish and can be found in the International aisle of most supermarkets. However, if you can't find gochuchang, you can also swap in sriracha instead or skip it entirely if your family doesn't enjoy the heat. Most importantly, you'll still end up with a very flavourful dish.
Can I make this in advance?
One of my favourite parts about this recipe is how well it holds up in the refrigerator. I love to make a big batch as part of my Sunday meal prep and then enjoy it for lunch throughout the week. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- ⅓ cup tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp gochujang
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 package Impossible™ Beef Made From Plants (340g)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- 2 tbsp green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the tamari, rice vinegar, brown sugar, gochuchang, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the Impossible Beef. Cook, breaking it up with the side of a spoon, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice and sliced cucumbers topped with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 2981mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 22g