Italian Sausage Shells
- 14 large dried pasta shells, cooked and rinsed with cold water
- 1 lb Italian sausage, removed from casings
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups green kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, add the sausage and cook until no longer pink over medium-high heat. Season with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add half of the tomato sauce and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in ricotta. Spread half of the remaining tomato sauce in the base of an oven-safe baking dish. Stuff the shells with the sausage mixture and place into tomato sauce lined baking dish. Top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until it is hot and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the basil or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply