- ⅔ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and spices. Set it aside.
- In another bowl or stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Once light and fluffy, add molasses and mix well. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. Add the flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until just combined. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl between each step. Once smooth, divide the dough in half and form discs. Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out and cut it into newt shapes using a cookie cutter or template. Place the newts on the baking sheets and bake until they are lightly golden, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Serve once they have cooled or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.