- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup vegetable oil, depending on your boxed cake recipe
- 3 large egg, depending on your boxed cake recipe
- 1 cup eggnog, depending on boxed cake recipe
- 2 cups vanilla buttercream
- 2 tbsp eggnog
- 1 tsp rum extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix with the nutmeg and cinnamon. Add the oil, eggs and eggnog. Scoop the batter into the muffin tin and bake according to package directions.
- To make the icing, add the eggnog and rum extract into the buttercream.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, ice them with the buttercream and top with a light grating of fresh nutmeg.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.