- 3 cups cherries
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼-1 cup sugar, depending on if you are using sour or sweet cherries
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 large egg, beaten for egg wash
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- ¼-1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and mix until it reaches the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add ¼ cup of ice water and begin to mix. If the mixture is too dry, add some more water until the dough comes together into a ball. Divide into two balls. Cover each ball in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Do not over knead dough to avoid tough crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a pie plate or tart shell. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cherries, cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice. Set it aside.
- Once the dough has rested, on a well floured surface, roll out the dough to fit the baking dish. Line the base of the pie plate or tart shell with the dough. Fill the dish with the cherry mixture. To create a lattice top, cut the second rolled out dough into ½ inch strips. Arrange the dough into a lattice patern on top of the pie. Brush the top of tart with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until the crust is golden and the cherry mixture is bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, loosely cover with foil.
- Allow the tart to cool before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.