Creme Brulee French Toast
- 1 French loaf, cut into 1 ½” slices
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and leave it to dry out for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread slices. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Flip the bread and refrigerate for at least another hour. The bread will have soaked up all of the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the brown sugar and melted butter.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a nonstick baking sheet. Arrange the bread slices on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the bread is golden on top and brown sugar mixture is hot and bubbly. Finish under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and carefully invert it onto a larger baking sheet. Remove the top baking sheet and allow the French toast to set for 3 to 5 minutes before serving. In that time, the sugar mixture will cool and harden slightly to become a crunchy, sweet topping – similar to Crème Brulee.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream.
Leave a Reply