- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 lb breakfast sausages, removed from casing
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 10 cups cornbread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- black pepper, to taste
- Allow the cornbread cubes to dry out overnight or bake at 200ºF for an hour, tossing every 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an oven-safe baking dish. Set it aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high hea. Cook until it begins to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and celery and cook until sausage is completely cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sage and thyme and cook until they become fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in the cornbread. Mix in the egg. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish cover with aluminum foil. Bake until the cornbread begins to brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.