Chocolate Raspberry Macarons
- 1 ⅔ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup almond flour, sifted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp raspberry extract
- red food coloring
- 4oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tsp butter, at room temperature
- In a large bowl, sift together icing sugar and almond flour. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar. Slowly sprinkle in granulated sugar. Add vanilla, raspberry extract and desired amount of food colouring. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold almond mixture into the egg whites. Do not overmix.
- Pipe 1 inch circles of mix onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Let macarons stand for 20-30 minutes before baking to form a skin.
- While waiting, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Once rested, bake for 10 to 12 minutes. After 10 to 12 minutes, turn the oven off and allow macarons to cool. Do not open the oven door.
- To make the ganache, heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Remove from heat before it starts to simmer.
- In a medium bowl, pour hot cream directly over finely chopped chocolate and allow to sit for 5 minutes. With a rubber spatula, stir mixture gently until chocolate ganache is smooth. Add room temperature butter butter and stir until melted. Do not overmix. Set aside and allow to firm up until it can be easily spread with a spatula or piped into macarons.
- To assemble, sandwich two cooled macarons together with chocolate ganache.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply