There is no sweeter way to get your veggies in than these mouth-watering Carrot Cake Scones which are full of lovely spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and topped with a decadent Cream Cheese Glaze.
- ½ cup half and half cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp half and half cream
- To make the scones, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add the chilled butter and mix it into the flour mixture with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. Alternatively, this can be done in a food processor. Once the butter is fully incorporated, add the carrots and pecans and stir gently.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until a dough begins to form. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer the first half to a lightly-floured board. Form it into a disc that is about 1-inch high and 8-inches across. Using a sharp knife, cut the disc into 6 equal slices. Transfer the slices to a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the other half of the dough. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each scone with milk.
- Transfer the scones to the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes.In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the scones until they just begin to brown on top, between 17 and 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them. If they begin to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil over top to slow the browning process. Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- In the meantime, to make the cream cheese glaze, in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and cream. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled scones.
- Enjoy immediately or store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g