- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup apple butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 cups vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ¼ cup of the sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Set it aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, apple butter, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Combine the flour mixture with the buttermilk mixture.
- Fill a large pot halfway with vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat to 360ºF. Scoop 5 to 6 donuts into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot. Cook until they are golden, about 2 minutes. Flip the donut holes and continue to cook until the remaining sides are golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the donuts from the oil and transfer them to a cooling rack. Repeat until all of the donut batter has been used up.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Once the donuts have cooled slightly, roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g