- 5 lbs russet potato, peeled and halved
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives for garnish
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are completely soft and falling apart, about 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and butter. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Be careful not to scald the milk. As soon as the milk is heated through, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Using a ricer, rice the potatoes into a large heat-safe bowl. Pour the warm milk and butter over the riced potatoes and season liberally with salt and pepper. Mash until they are smooth but fluffy.
- Serve immediately garnished with fresh chives or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.