*SOME links provided above are affiliate links
Archive for HOUSEHOLD HELPERS
Olive oil is good for a lot more than salad dressing!! In fact, this surprising household helper has a number of uses that you may have never thought of!!
There is a famous saying in Italy… “olio nuovo, vino vecchio” – This means it’s best to consume young oil and old wine…A principle I live by. But when your olive oil is past its prime in taste, it’s typically still perfectly for other household uses. But how can you tell?
Olive oil has four distinct enemies…Heat, light, air and time. All of which contribute to rancidity. That’s why it should be stored in a cool, dark place in a container that is glass, stainless steel or tin. A recent study showed that olive oil loses 40% of its antioxidant benefits after six months…a good time to transfer it from your kitchen pantry to your cleaning closet…
Olive oil can be used to moisturize creaky hinges in your home or your car. Use a cotton swab to apply it.
It can be used to lubricate measuring cups and spoons when you’re cooking with a sticky substance like honey or molasses.
SPARKLY STAINLESS STEEL
Want to make your stainless steel sparkle? Pour a few drops of olive oil on a cotton cloth and give your item a rub.
Same goes with your shoes if you’re out of polish. Apply a touch of olive oil to a soft cloth and voila…
Need to get latex paint off your hands? Pour a teaspoon or two olive oil on them and grab a handful of salt. Rub vigorously and then wash them with soap and water.
Finally, why spring for fancy wood furniture polish? Whip up a quick concoction of one part olive oil and one part vinegar. The vinegar will dissolve dirt while the oil works to condition the wood.
Do you have a cleaning tip you can’t live without? Share it in the comment section below.
Natural cleaners are easier on your wallet, easier on the environment and easier on your health!!
It’s time to talk about WHITE VINEGAR – a substance that some would argue is the single greatest natural cleaner known to mankind…But just where does vinegar come from?
Well, it all starts with a humble ear of corn. When this is converted to starch and then to sugar, yeast is added which begins the fermentation process turning that sugar into alcohol. Now, we could stop there but instead, in vinegar’s case, the process is taken a step further and a second fermentation is brought about thanks to the microorganism ‘ACETOBACTER’ which converts the alcohol to acetic acid.
Have you ever left a bottle of wine open for a few days and then had a sip? You’ll notice it takes on a vinegary flavor. That’s the work of acetobacter. But I digress…
White vinegar is an absolutely incredible cleaning agent thanks to its high content of ACETIC ACID. For an amazing household cleaner, I mix one part water to one part vinegar and store in a spray bottle.
It works to dissolve mineral deposits, mildew, soap scum and scale effortlessly so it’s great its great for use in the bathroom.
It evaporates almost immediately so it makes an excellent streak free glass and window cleaner.
It can cut easily cut through grease so it’s great for cleaning the kitchen.
It is very effective against germs. In fact one study found that white vinegar was able to kill 90% of mold and 99% of bacteria on a single surface. And while it may not be quite as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, white vinegar is NOT a danger to your pets, your children or YOU!!
Do you have any eco-cleaning tips you can’t live without? Share them in the comments section below.
I’m going to share one of the best-kept secrets for effortlessly cleaning your commode and a ton of other things in your house…DENTURE TABS!
That’s right! These effervescent green pills may not look very impressive but they pack quite a powerful punch when it comes to cleaning house…And of course your grandmother’s pearly whites.
The cleaning magic of denture tablets comes from a combination of chemicals including CITRIC ACID to aid in killing bacteria, SODIUM PERBORATE which works as a bleaching agent and SODIUM BICARBONATE for its abrasive qualities. Add to that the millions of bubbles that mobilize these and you have a very effective cleaner.
Here are a couple of ways this miraculous invention can help you out around the house…
- Are you suffering with a clogged drain? Place two or three tablets directly in the drain and follow up with 1 cup of straight vinegar. It should clear it right up.
- Are you struggling to clean a hard to scrub vase or narrow-necked bottle? Just fill it with water and add a tablet…No scrubbing necessary.
- Wouldn’t it be nice to have a cleaner coffee maker? Well these handy tabs can both kill bacterial build-up AND remove mineral deposits…Both of which can affect how delicious your coffee tastes. Pop two tablets in the water tank, let them sit for 15 minutes and then run it. Run another empty cycle or two to get rid of the minty flavour.
- Have your diamonds lost their sparkle? Fill a glass with water and add one tablet. Let yur jewelry soak for just ten minutes and it’ll sparkle like new.
- If you have a crusty casserole dish that needs some extra help, why not let the denture tabs do the work. Soak your dish for a few hours with one tablet.
- Finally, before bed, drop two fizzy tabs straight into the toilet boil…Come morning, give it a quick swish with your toilet brush and poof…You have an almost-self-cleaning commode!!
Do you have any household tips you adore? Share them in the comments section below.